In the early morning hours on June 28, 1969, the Stonewall Inn was raided and riots that would be marked in LGBT+ history and inadvertently give birth to “Pride Month” ensued. This date also represented a turning point for LGBT+ individuals everywhere. After decades of oppression and ridicule by society, a few violent and disruptive years following the riots gave the queer community of the United States a measure of liberation and acceptance. In celebration and remembrance of this first step towards a better world, let’s take a look at some of the most unforgettable quotes by queer personalities all over the world. Happy Pride Month!
1. Alice Walker, activist and author of the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel The Color Purple, came out as bisexual in the mid-nineties.
2. Carrie Brownstein and her feminist punk trio Sleater-Kinney made a significant change in the punk rock scene during the ’80s riot grrl movement.
3. Jason Collins was the first publicly gay athlete to play in any of four major North American pro sports leagues.
4. Ellen Page came out as gay during a speech at the Human Rights Campaign’s “Time to Thrive” conference.
5. Laxmi Narayan Tripathi is the first transgender person to represent Asia Pacific in the UN in 2008.
6. Connor Franta is a YouTube personality. He came out as gay to his viewers in a video back in 2014.
7. In 2012, Lady Gaga launched the Born This Way Foundation, a non-profit organization that focuses on youth empowerment and issues like self-confidence, well-being, anti-bullying, mentoring, and career development.